Round 158: Indigenous Characters
1 January 2024 12:15 pm
Happy New Year! Our first theme of 2024 is Indigenous characters!
This round is for fanworks that center Indigenous characters, whether canonical, racebent, or original. If your usual fandoms don't have any Indigenous characters, I encourage you to seek out ones that do, and if you have recommendations for shows, books, movies, and other media that feature Indigenous characters, please come share them in the comments!
The tag for this round is: theme: indigenous characters
If you're just joining us, be sure to check out our policy on content notes. Content notes aren't required, but they're nice to include in your recs, especially if a fanwork has untagged content that readers may wish to know about in advance.
Here's a basic rundown of our rules: We have open membership and all members can post recs. Any kind of fanwork is welcome as long as it fits the theme, just make sure to post your recs to the comm and not in the comments of this announcement.
We don't rec WIPs, we don't do self-reccing, we don't link to locked websites—except for AO3—and to keep from spamming, we don't post more than three recs a day.
Previously recced works can be recced again for new themes. If the work you're recommending fits one (or more) of our previous themes as well as the current round, you're welcome to list those in your post. Tag your post with the current theme (plus any additional themes), fandom(s), and length (in words or minutes). If your rec is for something other than fic, include the relevant fanwork tag as well, e.g. non-fic recs: podfic.
Check out the community guidelines for more details. If you have any questions, ask!
This posting template is designed for fanfiction. Feel free to edit it to fit your needs for other kinds of fanworks. We also have a template with a tag reminder if you need help remembering how the tags work.
Subject line should read: Fandom: Fanwork Title by Creator Name
Promote this round on Dreamwidth:
You're also welcome to upload this banner to your own social media or go ahead and boost this theme with one of the handy links below.
no subject
Date: 2024-01-05 12:33 pm (UTC)A) Like what about situations where the characters are indigenous (written as POC of the local indigenous people) and the actors are POC but are from a different country and ethnicity.
B) And it's not just POC characters, right? So I'm thinking Black or Asian Americans wouldn't count as indigenous, in USA-based media?
no subject
Date: 2024-01-05 07:09 pm (UTC)There's no one way to define what makes a people Indigenous, so I think our most important consideration should be whether the character identifies as (or is portrayed as) Indigenous.
A) I recced a fanart of Marilyn Whirlwind, who is Tlingit (Native Alaskan), but played by Elaine Miles, who is Cayuse and Nez Perce (Native American). I felt I was honoring the character's identity, even if it didn't match that of the actor's.
B) It's not just POC characters, but there is obviously some overlap. Probably most people who identify as Asian-American would not also identify as Indigenous, but if they're Hmong, they may identify as both. So it really depends on a character's specific circumstances and how they identify.
If you want to get a better of idea of what characteristics are associated with Indigenous peoples, Amnesty International asks, and answers, Who are Indigenous Peoples?
no subject
Date: 2024-01-10 05:37 am (UTC)Do you have any objection to my posting a fanart and a gifset in the same rec? The fandom is... small. There are currently only 2 fics, and aside from some good gifsets and the art I wanted to share, there really aren't many fanworks for this canon. I'm not sure they warrant two posts.
no subject
Date: 2024-01-10 05:39 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2024-01-10 05:43 pm (UTC)As long as you can see the post without being logged in, it counts as being unlocked, just maybe indicate it's at Instagram so people can plan accordingly.
If the art isn't titled, I usually call it something like "Untitled [Fandom/Character] Fanart" in my recs.
And comm rules are one rec per post. It doesn't matter how tiny a fandom or fanwork is. They all deserve their own moment. <3
no subject
Date: 2024-01-13 02:57 am (UTC)The actress is Cara Gee who is indigenous First Nations. The character of Camina, she is a belter, born and raised in the asteroid belt.
Cara Gee RPF / fan art might work I suppose but, harder to find.
no subject
Date: 2024-01-14 07:45 pm (UTC)You could certainly make an argument that the Belters are indigenous to space--they rely on its resources to sustain their lives, have an intimate relationship with the environment, and are struggling against the corporations that control the rocks and ships they live on--and there are probably fanworks out there that engage with that idea, but I'm concerned that, for this round, promoting a fictional group as an Indigenous people might be disrespectful to those who identify as Indigenous. But I'm not Indigenous, so I might be wrong! I can only say that when faced with the same question, I decided against recommending a piece of Namor fanart for this round because while his character is portrayed as Indigenous in the MCU, his people were inspired by a mix of Mesoamerican cultures and don't represent an actual Indigenous people.
I'm excited to learn that Cara Gee is First Nations, though! Cara Gee RPF would definitely be appropriate for this round.
no subject
Date: 2024-01-14 09:19 pm (UTC)